Wednesday 2 November 2011

Rainbows in Unexpected Places


























Today hubby called me to 
"Come quick while it's still here!"

There against the garage wall were two mini rainbows.

The spangled spectrum of colour,
red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet,
fell shimmering and quivering at our feet.

We knew it was the result of refracted sun light 
glancing down through the gathered raindrops 
on the transparent corrugated sheets
of our car-port roof,
but the transient colours were
no less to be wondered at for that.

Happy as clams we stood for several moments
looking at the treasure at our feet, 
and remembering the scriptural promise.

(Genesis 9:13–17)
"I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth. And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth".


Looking up
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow
I found many faiths and cultures
attach significance to this beautiful phenomena.

I remember a television program on the use of light in art 
showing some remarkable windows designed to
throw glorious rainbow colours
on to the walls and floors
of a building in America.
(I so wish I could remember where it was).

  The  native Americans of the area were shown
visiting the place specifically to "bathe" themselves in the
rich spectrum of colour, 
believing in the deep healing properties 
of the play of light they took into themselves.

Like them,we see the rainbow light as a sign of
  blessing and love.

You will see how "our" rainbow 
has settled over a crack  in the concrete
amidst the broken bits and pieces 
that settle from the comings and goings of life. 

I confess I was in need of that reminder
that God's love watches over us wherever we are 
and whatever the other outward signs may be.

Today if you, or those you love and have care for, 
are feeling the brokenness and fissures of life, 
I pray you may receive fresh encouragement,
and the strength of knowing 
that you are neither alone nor forgotten.
God Bless
 

To give yourself an instant injection of joy
if you like gospel music
listen to Mahalia Jackson 
sing "God Put the Rainbow in the Sky"

If Blogger refuses to upload the video to hear it go to

P.S.  I wonder do you know where that building with the wonderful light spectrum filled windows are?
I seem to remember it may have been near the Mojave desert,
and it may have been the Mojave Indians
who soaked themselves in rainbow light.

No comments:

Post a Comment