Tuesday 30 March 2010

Bonnard and Me (Again)

Another reason I'm fond of Bonnard is that he was well known for never being satisfied that he'd done all he could to a painting. (In technical terms "he liked a bit of fiddling").
The story goes that when one of his paintings was hanging in an exhibition he took along a party of friends who distracted the attendants whilst he whipped out his paints and adjusted the unsatisfactory piece of work.
How can you not love somebody like that! He is so much a man after my own heart.
I have a friend (you know who you are), who sometimes says to me when viewing a work in progress, "You ARE going to leave that bit alone now aren't you?" I need friends like that, and not only for when I paint.
Wouldn't it be good to have a little man with a megaphone who would pop up at the appropriate time and holler as they do in the police films. Something like:-
"Step away now. "
"Nothing to see here anymore".
"Job done!"
"Time to move along now PLEASE!"

I'm talking thought police as much as anything else here you understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment