Wednesday 14 April 2010

Our Visit to the Eden Project


The main reason for our trip to Cornwall was the visit to the Eden Project that we'd long been promising ourselves, and I have to say it is really impressive.
Of course everybody heads straight for the Biomes, (pictured above). We opted for the tropical Biome first and there is much to take in, yet from your first step the facts about our amazingly bio-diverse planet are
presented in such a way that
you just can't resist being

educated,even should you want to.

Just to give you a taste, one of the many fun ways of learning is the mysterious cabinet on the right, which opens to show something about the history of the spice trade, and how lives were affected by the riches that changed hands as a result.

I'm not going to spoil it by showing you the magical inside just in case you should go yourself one day!









And wouldn't you love to be small eno
ugh to get into this velcro suit and learn about seed dispersal by hurling yourself against a wall you could stick to? I know I would have liked to have had a go.









Wherever you looked were folks of all ages enjoying themselves and learning as they went.

On the left are a few of the older "kids" who found it hard to move away once they had become enthralled by the story teller in the Mediterranean Biome.

With all this and much, much ,more, why did I feel a sense that something was missing? As we drove away there was no mistaking a feeling of let down.
Was it just the anti-climax that often follows when we actually get to see what we've long a-waited, or heard glowing reports about? It had been a rich, enjoyable experience and yet...

I guess what was missing for me was the sheer serendipity of nature in the wild. At heart my favourite places are the wild ones. So rich and beautiful as it is, anything as controlled as the Eden Project is has got to leave a bit of me longing for some rugged hills or straggly countryside.
It's just the way I am.

I hope you go and see all that the Eden Project has to offer and see what you think for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment