Friday 17 August 2012

The Rest is Silence

This picture looks strange doesn't it?

Almost right but not quite.

You have probably sussed I've simply
 turned one of my photos upside down.

If you are like me,
 subtle as it is,
 this has quite an unsettling effect;
which is my un-subtle way of saying
 that I feel a little as though my inner life
 has been turned upside down of late,
and it has been unsettling.

For such a long time I have made sense of life by 
writing,
painting,
reflecting...
just plain thinking and mulling things over I guess.

Lately it is as if this need or desire has fled,
 to leave me living a spontaneous life of such 
"now-ness"
as I have never known.

I don't know if this makes sense to anybody else
but that's just the way it is.

When I have attempted to re-discover who I think I am
by crawling into my reflective shell
I have simply experienced a mental shrug,
 as Hamlet's last words, 
"the rest is silence"
 have settled me again.

It made a kind of sense to me.

Then today some other words from the Apocrypha
 fell into place:-
"We may speak much, and yet come short:
 wherefore in sum, he is all." 

Ah! What a silence that is.

 Then came the rest of the quotation from years back
which I thought I had forgotten. 

"How shall we be able to magnify him?
 for he is great above all his works.
The Lord is terrible and very great,
 and marvellous is his power.
When ye glorify the Lord, exalt him as much as ye can; 
for even yet will he far exceed:
 and when ye exalt him, put forth all your strength, 
and be not weary;
 for ye can never go far enough".
Sirach 43:27 - 30 

If my silence could speak like that,
 wordy as I am
I think I would be content to be silent for ever.

May your weekend be just the way round you like it.

"...in sum, he is all."

Be Blessed
.




No comments:

Post a Comment