Tuesday 24 January 2012

In My Small Corner



Whenever I am tired or below par
I am tempted to see my life as of very little significance.

The many beautiful, well-crafted  blogs I discover 
as I sit taking my enforced rests with my laptop,
testify that I do not live in an area of outstanding beauty,
have no great scholarship to draw from,
or varied travels and social whirl to report.

As it is there are many days 
when the  boundaries of my life
  lie no further than front and back doors of our home.

Within these confines
  I find such wealth I
 I sometimes feel guilty 
that restlessness comes so rarely
given the multitude of things I have never done;
never seen.
My ego whispers that my life,
(so small),
is wasted, 
with it's hours, days, weeks, months,
in quiet rooms.

I cannot even justify these hours as being 
as prayer-filled and faithful as I would like,
but only as open as I can keep them
to the other,
rather than to the self.  

It is the only path I know,
so Rilke's words come like balm.

 "What should I say about your tendency to doubt your struggle
or to harmonize your inner and outer life?
My wish is ever strong that you find enough patience within you
and enough simplicity to have faith.
May you gain more and more trust in what is challenging,
and confidence in the solitude you bear.
Let life happen to you.
Believe me: life is in the right in any case." 
(Rainer Maria Rilke) Letters to a Young Poet

Be Blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment